Big wave to fellow bloggers Laura, Karen, Vicki, Abigail and Naffy, and Ellie and Michelle, the lovely and super knowledgeable Kiehl's consultants who were on hand to answer all our questions!
The night started with a little get to know you with the new and fresh counter, with us all grabbing a glass of something sparkling and wandering off to touch some products and familiarise ourselves with the set up.
Kiehl's was originally founded as an old-world apothecary in New York's East Village over 150 years ago, resulting in a unique blend of cosmetic, medicinal, pharmaceutical and herbal knowledge developing over generations into the brand we know today. Gerwyn gave us a bit of Kiehl's history before the product demonstrations, and we were all totally hooked on his enthusiasm for their back story - from the origins of the in-store motorbikes to Kiehl's active involvement in essential AIDS research. I can't even cover it all properly for you because I won't do it justice (I feel like Miss Geist in Clueless here), but if you want to learn more then I definitely recommend hitting up the About Kiehl's page for a bit of extra credit.
Anyhoo, Gerwyn took us through several different products that are all key to the moisture levels in our skin, something I know I don't focus on enough. I'm so wrapped up on getting rid of spots and shrinking my pores that I tend to ignore the important stuff like anti-ageing!
An oil level paper test measures for skin type (mine is surprisingly 'normal' *side eye*) and we were also given a moisture level test which was really interesting. Mine was 33% which is average but still dehydrated. Gerwyn explained that his is around a healthy 49%, and this is achieved not just by eating well and drinking plenty of water, but by the products we use on our skin so it's important to use the right ones for your skin type. Quite simply, natural ageing is one of the main causes of skin dehydration, and it's a battle Kiehl's are intent on helping us fight!
Vicki with Gerwyn taking her through her personal skin consultation, with Dr Bones in the background! :)
We were shown five of Kiehl's flagship products:
- Powerful Strength Line Reducing Concentrate - contains 10.5% stable Vitamin C and helps to reduce the lines found around the mouth, chin and crows feet. It has a warming sensation when applied which is nice. I've been using it daily for only 5 days now and (combined with the other new products) my skin does look noticeably brighter - ta daaaa!
- Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF 50 - oil free, safe for sensitive skin and works perfectly inder make-up. Now I knew that SPF was important but basically, Gerwyn kind of changed my whole way of thinking. I generally just make sure that there is one in my BB or foundation, but now I'll be sure to wear a stand alone SPF too because I learnt that they intensify the productivity that other serums, moisturisers etc have on your skin!
- Clearly Corrective Dark Spot Solution - This was one of the products that Gerwyn recommended to me in my personal consultation. I have pigmentation spots from sun damage in my teens (ugh) but apparently this product could turn them around if I catch them early. The formulation is like water, and it's key ingredients get to work for results in 8 weeks. Sign me up for a piece of that!
- Midnight Recovery Concentrate - A Kiehl's customer favourite! Made up of 99.8% natural ingredients that boost your skin's natural overnight repair process, topped off with a beaut lavender scent to aid sleep. Again, I've only been using it for 5 days but yes, it works. My skin definitely looks and feels noticeably brighter and softer in the morning.
- And finally, the new Hydro Plumping Re-Texturizing Serum Concentrate! This wonder serum is basically a big gulp in a teeny pump. It's super light so it can be used under your moisturiser, make up or even under other serums which is pretty unique! Formulated with a potent complex of 15% plant based glycerin (a natural moisture magnet) and Shiso leaf extract (which helps to protect the anchoring of deep moisture into skin surface layers), it has been proven to sustain hydration over a 72 hour period - wow?! Again I've been using it for 5 days now, but twice a day. My skin definitely feels hydrated for longer. I work in an office and I'm usually drying out and visibly flaking by 3pm but not this week so it must be doing something right - high five!
We were so lucky to get a full size bottle of the new serum in our take home goodie bags, along with the other products in sample sizes. I know right? SPOILT.
I also treated myself to a couple of the other products Gerwyn had recommended for me during my consultation. I still suffer from blemishes, and I have a tendency to equate oiliness with spots so I strip my skin with harsh face washes and exfoliate too much. Gerwyn recommended the Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser and Calendula Herbal Extract Toner as a base routine to get my skin back on track. It sounds obvious to me now but by cleaning my skin so harshly, I'm forcing it to overproduce on oil, which in turn is causing my spots. This double act should calm my skin down and take it back to it's natural levels so I can really see what I'm working with!
I've been using both products for 5 days (along with the serums) and there is a marked improvement on my pores and blemishes for sure. I'm going to report back in a few weeks about all of these products because you can't review skincare after a week, it's impossible, but I do have faith in Kiehl's and I will definitely be doing a future show and tell on my new routine so watch this space!
This was probably the most interesting and informative beauty event I've been to in a long time, I feel like I learnt so much about the science behind the beauty and hopefully with that better understanding of what my skin wants and needs will come actual better skin!
Huge thanks to the Kiehl's team and Debenhams Liverpool One, as one legendary motorbike rider said - I'LL BE BACK!
J - Kiehl'd over.